4th of July Pupcake Recipe
Give your pet a 'pupcake' this 4th of July and save them missing out on any yummy feasts you have planned. Follow the simple animal-safe recipe below and spoil your special furry friend!
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1 cup natural (no sugar added) peanut butter, chunky or smooth
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup plain rice or soy milk, or water
- Frosting and Sprinkles (Pet-friendly only)
- 1 tub (12 oz) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese spread (Neufchâtel), softened
- Dry dog food, crushed to fine crumbs
1. Heat oven to 350˚F. Spray muffin tins (mini for small dogs, regular for midsize dogs, jumbo for large dogs) with baking spray.
2. Beat bananas in large bowl of electric mixer on low speed until puréed and smooth. Beat in peanut butter, oil, eggs and baking powder until combined. With mixer still on low speed, alternately beat in flour and rice milk until batter is smooth (if batter is too thick, thin with more rice milk).
3. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake mini-Pupcakes about 15 minutes, regular-size about 24 minutes and jumbo about 30 minutes, or until a pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool pupcakes in pan 10 minutes; remove to wire rack and cool completely.
4. For a special treat, frost pupcakes with a thin layer of cream cheese spread and sprinkle with crumbled dog food “sprinkles.
Happy 4th of July